Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

real.exe report an error

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

zhangzhida

Hi, everyone. I received an error while running real.exe regarding "invalid parent id for domain 2" (see below)

I modify the mode layer top height, output interval, and damping layer thickness based on the previous example that worked (no change was made to the horizontal setting of the simulation domain), and the error occured.
I attached the namelist.wps and namelist.input . The attachment with the suffix "old" is the one that I ran successfully before。
Thanks
taskid: 0 hostname: localhost.localdomain
module_io_quilt_old.F 2931 T
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 5552
invalid parent id for domain 2
-------------------------------------------
application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 1) - process 0

Attachments

• namelist.input
    4.2 KB · Views: 33
  • namelist.wps
    1.4 KB · Views: 26
  • namelist-old.input
    4.2 KB · Views: 30
Hi,
The issue is that you have the following setting in your namelist.input file:
Code:
p_top_requested                     = 50000,50000,50000,
That parameter only expects a single entry, so it would need to be changed to
Code:
p_top_requested                     = 50000,
I agree that the error isn't very indicative of the problem. This is something we need to look into.

That being said, I believe you are still going to have some problems with the domain set-up you're using.
1) p_top_requested = 50000,
This is going to be way too low in the atmosphere. The default setting is 5000 and you should probably keep it there.
2) e_vert = 100, 100, 100
Your domains are pretty small (145x145). That is likely going to be too many model levels for that size domain. I would set it to something more like 45.
3) parent_grid_ratio = 1, 3, 9,
parent_time_step_ratio = 1, 3, 9,
We suggest using ratios of 3:1 or 5:1, and certainly not more than 7:1. The 9:1 ratio is quite a jump and will likely cause problems.

If in doubt about some of the namelist options and the suggested practices, take a look at these pages for guidance.
namelist.wps best practices
namelist.input best practices