Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

troubles, could not find trapping x locations

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

koko_a

Hi,

I've just compiled WRF 4.1.5 with a specified-moving nest.
I can't seem to run real properly and wonder if the problem is in the compilation or there's a problem with the run.

The error I'm getting is:
Using sfcprs3 to compute psfc
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE:  <stdin>  LINE:    5860
-------------------------------------------
[cli_0]: aborting job:
application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 1) - process 0

Could you please help me with this?
Attached is the namelist.input I'm trying to use.

Thanks,
Koko

Attachments

• namelist.input
    4.7 KB · Views: 95
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.

I tried, and it doesn't change the result.
I'm still getting:
Using sfcprs3 to compute psfc
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 5860
-------------------------------------------
[cli_0]: aborting job:
application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 1) - process 0

Do you have other suggestions?

Thanks,
Koko

It's ERA-Interim on model levels and for surface level (https://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds627.0/index.html#!cgi-bin/datasets/getWebList?dsnum=627.0&gindex=5).
These are the same input data I usually use.

Thanks,
Koko

Koko,
Thanks! Sometimes this error can occur when there is missing or "junky" data in the upper levels. Can you look through the met_em* files and see if you see anything missing? If you aren't able to find anything, please attach a couple of time periods of your met_em* files so that I can run a test using your namelist and files. You can package the files into a single *.tar file. If the file is too large to upload, please see the home page of this forum for instructions on uploading large files.

Hi Kelly,
Thanks for your answer.

You were right, and now I'm even more confused...

The met_em files do not contain data for more than one atmospheric layer.
This is weird because I use the same namelist.wps file as I used before, with another WRF version (in which case I used the same input data and had a lot of met_grid levels [61 actually]).

Does this mean I have a problem with the compilation of the WPS...?

Best,
Koko

Koko,
I'm not sure what it means. Can you send me a couple of time periods of your meteorological input data, along with your namelist.wps file? I want to try to test this. Are you using version 4.1 of WPS also? Thanks!

Sure. Attached is the namelist.wps.
The first two ERA-I input files were (hopefully) uploaded via nextcloud.

Attachments

• namelist.wps
    1.5 KB · Views: 97
Hi,
With the files you sent me, I was able to get 60 levels of atmospheric data, but no surface data. The files you sent are in the format:
ei.oper.an.ml.regn128sc.2018090700
and
ei.oper.an.ml.regn128uv.2018090700

Do you have the surface files too? Can you also let me know the process you are following to run ungrib - including the exact Vtable you're using, etc.? Thanks!

Hi,
sorry for that.
I have now attached the surface file as well ("sfcEraIexample").

The Vtable I'm using is: "Vtable.ERA-interim.ml"

I'm runing ungrib as usuall I guess ("./ungrib.exe"), then convert model levels to pressure levels using "./calc_ecmwf_p.exe” and then run metgrid.
The ungrib section of the namelist is:
&ungrib
out_format = 'WPS',
prefix = 'FILE',
/

Thanks,
Koko

Koko,
I think the problem may be that you're not running ungrib correctly. Because you have 3D data and surface data in separate files, but for the same times, you'll need to run ungrib twice so that the program will degrib the data in each file. Take a look here for information on doing this:
https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/docs/user_guide_v4/v4.2/users_guide_chap3.html#_Using_Multiple_Meteorological

Hi there!

I've been getting the same error while trying to run real.exe when initializing with NAEFS ensemble mean data. PSFC is part of the data set and metgrid and ungrib seem to have picked it up so I'm not sure where the discontinuity could lie. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rachel

Rachel,
Can you let me know the version of the model you're running, and attach your error log file (e.g., rsl.error.0000) and namelist.input file so that I can take a look? Thanks.

Yes absolutely, thanks! I'm running version 4.0. The namelist.input file and error log file are attached.

Attachments

• namelist.input
    3.9 KB · Views: 68
  • rsl.error.log
    2 KB · Views: 85
Hi,
A couple of things that initially pop out to me from your namelist are:
1) You have num_metgrid_soil_levels = 0. This can't be 0. Most datasets have ~4 levels. When you are obtaining your input data, you need to make sure you are getting the soil data (temp and moisture) fields, as well. If the NAEFS data do not include the soil data, you will either need to use a different data type, or supplement with a different type.
2) You only have 12 levels of data from the input. I'm not certain what the minimum is, but this is quite low, meaning each layer is very thick. For reference, GFS has 34 levels.

Check on 1) first. Once you have soil data, if it's still failing, then perhaps it is the problem with 2).

Hi,
I am facing the same issue.
The error and namelist.input files are attached. I have been running the model for a few months and I got an error while running real.exe for 03/2015.
Thank you.
Liji

Attachments

• namelist.input
    9.7 KB · Views: 68
  • rsl.error.0080.dat
    22.9 MB · Views: 73
@lijimdavid,
1) Besides the dates, are there any differences between this simulation and others that you've been successfully running (change of domain size/location, different input data, different physics, any different namelist settings, etc.)?
2) I notice it seems that you're running WRF-Chem. Can you try this with a non-chem build of WRF (Basic WRF) to see if you still get the problem? I'd like to know if it's specific to chemistry.
3) Check your met_em* files - check all variables and all levels to make sure there are no missing data.
4) Please let me know what type of input data you are using.
Thanks!

kwerner said:
Hi,
Can you try setting "p_top_requested = 5000" and see if that makes any difference?

Hello, I am also getting the same error. I am using WRF version 3.9.1.1_openmpi-2.1.2_parallel_studio-2017.4 and ERA5 data (ERA5 Reanalysis ds633.0). I am attaching my namelist.input and error file. I have used the exact same namelist for other time periods and there was no error before. Can you please help?

Thanks!

Attachments

• namelist.input
    4.4 KB · Views: 26
  • rsl.error.txt
    94.1 MB · Views: 28
  • met_em.d02.2006-06-13_12_00_00.nc
    30.7 MB · Views: 23