Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

missing wrfbdy_d02

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

xavierC

Hi all,
I am a new WRF user and i therefore followed step by step the online tutorial. i used GFS global file and somehow all steps went well up to the end.
But then i notice my WRF simulation only delivered wrfout_d01 while it is supposed to have a nested domain too.

When i put max_dom=2 in namelist.input wrf.exe stops without error :
d01 2017-03-04_12:00:00 *** Initializing nest domain # 2 from an input file. ***
d01 2017-03-04_12:00:00 med_initialdata_input: calling input_input
d01 2017-03-04_12:00:00 Input data is acceptable to use:
INPUT LandUse = "MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH"
LANDUSE TYPE = "MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH" FOUND 33 CATEGORIES 2 SEASONS WATER CATEGORY = 17 SNOW CATEGORY = 15
INITIALIZE THREE Noah LSM RELATED TABLES

I guess the problem comes from the missing wrfbdy_d02 while wrfinput_d01 and wrfinput_d02 both exist.

real.exe finish success "real_em: SUCCESS COMPLETE REAL_EM INIT".

can you help me understand why wrfbdy_d02 is missing beside the success and if it is my real problem.

thanks in advance
Xavier

Xavier,

WRF doesn't need wrfbdy_d02. This is because for both 1-way ad 2-way nesting, the lateral forcing for the child domain is always provided by the parent domain simulation. wrfbdy_d01 is the forcing for the outermost domain.

Thanks for your answer,
i indeed understood this too. Sorry for the stupid question.

Furthermore my 2way simulation worked perfectly well on 1 and 2 cpus but not with 8 ! which is a tricky thing to investigate ....
Any insights ?

That is possibly related to your domain settings. Usually one processor should cover no less than 10 grids. if you have a small grid number but run the case with a large number of processors, the case will possibly fail.