Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) 'invalid parent id for domain 2' with 15 nests

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

ahahmann

Alldomains.pngHello,

I have a similar problem than others have reported in the past.
I have a WRF domain configuration with 15 nests. The outer domain is quite large, and within this grid, there are 7 nests (each with a nest).
When I run real.exe with all 15 domains, I get the infamous

-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 5622
invalid parent id for domain 2
-------------------------------------------

The problems seem to originate with d12... That is when I sequentially remove domains and keep D1-D3, D1-D5,...etc. All these complete without problems, when I add D12 and D13 the error occurs. A run with D1 and only what corresponds to D12/D13 is OK.

The inner grids don't appear to be close to the outer domain boundaries. The small domains are 121 x 121 grid points.

Any help will be appreciated. There is probably a simple solution, but after 2 days I cannot see it.
I attached the domain plot and the namelists. All runs were done with WPS4.2 and WRF V4.2.1. and with MAX_DOMAINS = 21.

Attachments

• namelist.input
    5.2 KB · Views: 46
  • namelist.wps
    1.3 KB · Views: 41
The answer to this was quite simple. In the WRF configuration file:

Code:
#### Single location for defining total number of domains.  You need
#### at least 1 + 2*(number of total nests).  For example, 1 coarse
#### grid + three fine grids = 1 + 2(3) = 7, so MAX_DOMAINS=7.

MAX_DOMAINS     =       21

So, for 15 domains MAX_DOMAINS = 1 + 2*14 = 29!

It would be useful if the error message from real was a bit more self-explanatory.

Hi,
I'm glad that you were able to figure out the problem, and I agree! The message should be more clear. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.