Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Zero values for RAINC and RAINNC

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

jahokson

Hi! I'm getting zero values for RAINC and RAINNC variables from my wrfoutput. Any ideas on why?

Files - wrfouput, metgrid, and namelist - are uploaded at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qG3hzaGlWY5k7bNlrFVVhjm-g4i0YR2m?usp=sharing ; they are too big for this site. Thank you

Hi,
I looked at your namelist.input. I suppose this is pre-set moving nest case. Please let me know if I am wrong. I have a few concerns about this case:
(1) Can you run the case with vortex-following moving nest? I ask this because it is hard to correctly specify options for pre-set moving nest
(2) You in with surface_physics = 1 (thermal diffusion scheme), which requires num_soil_layers = 5.
(3) For 9km rresolllution, we commend to turn on cumulus scheme, although this is kind of green zone.
(4) You run the case for 6 hours. Please make sure there did have precipitation during this short period.

Hi Ming Chen! Thank you for your reply.

To answer your questions:
1. I am using a DA system that assimilates vortex location, so I cannot use vortex-following nest in this case.
2. I didn't know this. Could this be causing the error? I'll try running it now with sf_surface_physics=2. I will update you ASAP
3. Yes, it is quite debatable :)
4. Yes, there are surely precipitations as I am simulating during a typhoon. Also there are also files for the next several hours and days, all of them gives zero rain values.

Hi! I have tried running with sf_surface_physics = 2 (noah), since num_soil_layers=4 in metgrid files. Unfortunately, same zero values exist for rain.

btw, I'm using WRF V3.6.1