Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Using wrfout as wrfinput

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

lkugler

Hi,
following up on topic >Difference between wrfinput and initial wrfout

I observed no significant difference between wrfinput and the initial wrfout in WRF4.2.2 for the test case em_quarter_ss.
Yet, I found a case where there is a difference:

When I integrate the test case for 1,5 hours and use the wrfout file there as wrfinput to restart the run, like so:
Code:
mv wrfout_d01_...01:30:00 wrfinput_d01; ./wrf.exe
then I get a significantly different P field in the wrfinput and first wrfout file at this time.

Is it not advisable to restart a run from a wrfout file?
I heard that it should not make much difference. Yet I am concerned about the error that is introduced by that, since I get T errors oscillating around 1K (RMSE, lowest level, comparing wrfout_restarted run to a wrfrst_restarted run; see figure below)

Screenshot 2021-02-11 at 01.26.10.png

Ming Chen said:
If I understand correctly, the case that shows large difference is a restart case ( https://forum.mmm.ucar.edu/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=10031#p20222)

Note that one cannot restart a WRF run based on wrfout. This is because many intermediate variables required for restarting are not included in wrfout. One must use wrfrst to restart a WRF run.

Thank you for your quick response!
I understand that it is not possible to restart a WRF run based on wrfout (in the sense that it is a bit-reproducible run).
Yet, it is possible to initialize a run with a wrfout file, and I was advised that this is the way to create a wrfinput file after data assimilation (not with WRFDA, but with DART).

So, what is the recommended way to do data-assimilation?
Do you advise against initializing a WRF run after a data-assimilation step by renaming wrfout_d01_ to wrfinput_d01?
Or do you recommend inserting updated states into a wrfrst file instead? (ncks -A -v da_output wrfrst_d01_)

Many thanks!

Hi Lukas,

WRRF can be initialized in two ways:

(1) cold start: initial condition is derived from large scale forcing data like ERRA-I, HGS, etc.
(2) run data assimilation to produce initial condition

We often run cold start for research issues, while people in operational service prefer to run assimilation for real-time forecast.
It all depends on your specific cases.