Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

How to decide which eta levels to use?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

g_vijayan

I am running WRF model with three two-way nested domains of 9,3 an 1km resolutions. I would like to have very high vertical resolution (~ 100m) upto 3 km as I want to study the boundary layer. How do I decide the number of vertical levels to use?
And, how do I decide the eta levels manually? Should it be logarithmic or are there some rules I need to keep in mind while picking the eta levels?

Hi,
I apologize for the delay. I wanted to check with some colleagues to make sure I give you sound advice. We now have a namelist option called "auto_levels_opt." You can read about it in Chapter 5 of the WRF Users' Guide. That can be used for a first-guess. The low-level stretching rate can be set to 1.0 to give a fixed thickness, and once you run real.exe, they should be printed in your log output file, so you can copy those into your namelist. There is also a table with some examples of setting level parameters found in Chapter 4 of the Users' Guide. Hopefully this will get you started. Let me know if you have additional questions.