Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Domains with 1:1 grid ratio cause segfault?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

emtarouilly

Hi,

I have been trying to run WRF using 3 nested domains at 15-3-3 km resolution (see map), i.e. the second and third nest have the same resolution. This is because I need to be able to make modifications to the output of the second domain, and then run the third domain using ndown. But before doing that with ndown, I tried just running all 3 domains at once (as normally done when not using ndown).

WRF crashes almost immediately with a segfault (see the rsl.error.0000 file attached). WPS and real seemed to run ok and produce the appropriate files.

I have tried steps that would typically help with segfault:
- Reduce the time step (down to 1 second, which seems very small)
- Increase epssm and use 6th order diffusion
- Move the innermost domain away from mountainous terrain

Is it not ok to have 2 domains at the same resolution? Or am I making a mistake elsewhere?

Attachments

• domains.png
    domains.png
    387.1 KB · Views: 722
  • namelist.input
    4.3 KB · Views: 26
  • rsl.error.0000.txt
    7.3 KB · Views: 22
I believe this is because your D03 is not really a 'nested' domain. It is just a sub-region of D02 and the model is get confused how to process this domain.
I would suggest you run two-domain nesting, and you can always extract the data over the "D03" from model out for D02, i.e.,

ix = 174, 174+165
iy = 165, 165+ 265

Results of D02 over the above range are exactly what you want for D03.