Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Use of WRFv3 input in WRFv4

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

michael3911

Hello,

I have used WRFv3.9.1.1 for a long time but I would like to move to WRFv4.2.x to test the new SMS-3DTKE scheme. I have a lot of input files for WRFv3.9.1.1 and I am wondering which ones could be used in WRFv4.2.x without any troubles. I have read here (https://forum.mmm.ucar.edu/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=5285) that using the wrfinput* files could impact model accuracy. Are there also some issues with WPS3.9.1 met_em* files or could I use them in WRFv4.2.x?

Thank you very much.
Michael

Michael,
I would suggest that you rerun REAL program to produce initial and boundary conditions. This is because since WRFV4, the vertical coordinate has been changed, which makes the initial/bounbday data of older version unacceptable.
The old met_em files from older WPS can still be used.