Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

SST update with nested domains

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

longfei

Hi all,
I am running a tripple three one-way nested run, and i want to update sst with time-varying SST. I succceded in wps program, but when I run real.exe, it only produced wrflowinp_d01, no wrflowinp_d02 and wrflowinp_d03. How could it update the SST in inner domains without wrflowinp_d02 and wrflowinp_d03 even if the sst_update set on in namelist.input?

Attachments

• namelist.input
    4.4 KB · Views: 53
Thanks for the update. I actually run a test case and is able to produce wrflowinp files for all the nested domains. We need to have met-em files for all the domains and over the entire integration period.

Hi,

You only need to set
sst_upadte =1

The key issue is that you need to have met_em files for all domains and over all the the integration period. Below is an example.
Suppose you run a triply-nested cases over 48-hour period and the forcing data is at 6-hour interval. You need to have 9 met_em.d01, 9 met_em.d02 and 9 met_em.d03 files over the 48-hour period. The start and end time need to be specified for all the three domains accordingly.

Now the questions is the historical rtg_sst files. The sst in the example of online tutoical is 1/12 degreergt_sst. But rtg_high_res is only available from 2015 to 2020, and rtg_low_res is just available in year 2018. I want to do simulation from 2001 to 2015, how can I access to rtg_sst in this period? Or is there other sst sources?
Thanks and best regards
Longfei