Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

GRID 4KM - AIR QUALITY

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

ikhsanmurad

Hi team.
I want to ask about the resolution.
How the best/ recommended get 4km resolution if i'm using the meteorological GFS 0.25 deg?
1. Nested with the ratio of 3. and then run wrf.exe
2. I'm only using the nested with ratio of 3 during WPS. After that, I copied that domain 3 only and changed to the parent domain.
and then i run wrf.exe
3. from the beginning (during WPS), i'm directly using the resolution 4km.

Kindly advise me.

Regards,
Ikhsan

Hi, Ikhsan,
Please see my answers below:

1. Nested with the ratio of 3. and then run wrf.exe

This is a good option. You may choose 12km-4km for the parent and child domain.

2. I'm only using the nested with ratio of 3 during WPS. After that, I copied that domain 3 only and changed to the parent domain.
and then i run wrf.exe

I am not sure what you mean. Please clarify

3. from the beginning (during WPS), i'm directly using the resolution 4km.

This is to recommended. It is better to run a nested case as suggested in (1)

for the option (2) i'm planning like this:
1. run geogrid, ungrib and metgrid with the nested.
so, the result will get met_d01, met_d02 and met_d03
2. after that i'm copied only met_d03 (4km resolution i wanted) into one file and rename all domain as met_d03 to met_d01.
3. and then, i'm run WRF ONLY that domain (4km).

Regards,
Ikhsan

Ikhsan,
I guess I understand what you are trying to do. This is not a 'standard' way we run WRF over high-resolution domain, but I expect that this way should work. Please keep me updated about the result.