Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

How to output time-step rain values?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

yanhongyi

I've known that using output_diagnostics = 1 in &time_control would be helpful. I also set auxhist3_outname and related vars needed in &time_control.

I successfully output wrfxtrm, but I only see RAINNCVMEAN\RAINNCMAX and so on in it, I don't have the RAINNCV and RAINCV.

I don't know which variable is time-step rain, and the unit of RAINNCVMEAN\RAINNCMAX... is kg/m2/s....I don't know how to deal with it...

When you set output_diagnostics = 1, you will get the following variables in wrfxtrm files:
t2min,t2max,tt2min,tt2max,t2mean,t2std,q2min,q2max,tq2min,tq2max,q2mean,q2std,skintempmin,skintempmax,tskintempmin,tskintempmax,skintempmean,skintempstd,u10max,v10max,spduv10max,tspduv10max,u10mean,v10mean,spduv10mean,u10std,v10std,spduv10std,raincvmax,rainncvmax,traincvmax,trainncvmax,raincvmean,rainncvmean,raincvstd,rainncvstd

RAINNCV and RAINCV are not supposed to be included in wrfxtrm files.

The unit of RAINNCVMEAN\RAINNCMAX... is kg/m2/s, which is equivalent to mm/s.

RAINCV and RAINNCV are time-step convective and resolved scale precipitation, respectively.

Dear Ming,
I need a clarification regarding
" RAINCV and RAINNCV are time-step convective and resolved scale precipitation, respectively."
I'm running a simulation with an history_interval of 3 hours and files with 8 frames, i.e. 1 day for each output file.
RAINC, RAINNC, RAINSH are accumulated along all the simulation, and not reset to zero in each history file.
RAINCV and RAINNCV are time-step ...
I have 15 secs time step. RAINCV that is written at second time interval (let's say 2020-09-16_06:00:00) is the value accumulated in the previous 15 seconds or in the previous 3 hours?
In case, how can I get the accumulated of RAINC, RAINNC andRAINSH over the 3 hours?
Thank you
Francesco

Francesco,

Let's suppose you have output files save at 3-hour intervals, for example, wrfout.00hr, wrfout.03hr, wrfout.06hr, ...
You can always extract rain and rainnc from each wrfout files, and the difference between the two consecutive times of wrfout will be the 3-hour accumulative precipitation.

We don't recommend using RAINCV and RAINNCV, because these two variables are instantaneous and they cannot represent precipitation over a specific period.