Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

./wrf.exe and FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 6052 fatal error in module_mp_fast_sbm (RW.LE.0), model stop

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

yeaihua

I chose two layers of nesting, using cloud microphysics No. 30 to simulate in the area near Iceland. However, when I run . / wrf.exe, i.e. the last step, an error occurred:
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 6052
fatal error in module_mp_fast_sbm (RW.LE.0), model stop
-------------------------------------------
application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 1) - process 0

Dear friends,please help me to have a look. What's wrong with my files? Where should I start to check if there is a mistake? thank you very much!
I have put my namelist.input and rel.error.0000 in the attach.txt. hopefully to your help! Thanks Thanks Thanks

Attachments

• attach.txt
    9.2 KB · Views: 24
Hi, Yeaihua
I just wonder why you turn off microphysics for D01? Note that for real-data case, microphysics must be activated in all domains. Please modify your namelist by:

mp_physics = 30, 30, 30,

Also, you may change time step to 150, which willl make this case run faster.

Ming

Thanks for your reply. it is very surprised to get your reply for it's my first time to do things like this :). And I have changed the parameter that you said, but it still reports the same error:
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 6052
fatal error in module_mp_fast_sbm (RW.LE.0), model stop
-------------------------------------------
application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 1) - process 0

And I trace back to the module_mp_fast_sbm.f90 to find "RW", it seems that "RW.LE.0" is the reason why the model stops.I have attached the screenshot. i am confused. What does the "RW" mean and where should I start?
So now what should I do if I still want to run this model? thank you ,thank you, thank you!

Attachments

• 记录.docx
    170.3 KB · Views: 21
Hi Yeaihua,
Is there any special reason you want to run with mp_physics = 30? This scheme is notorious for not running stably and I know there are many issues related to this scheme. It is hard to debug the problem for each individual case.
if possible, I would suggest you switch to Thompson scheme (mp_physics =8) , which is the scheme we recommend based on our tests in North America.
Also, please try to work with the latest version of WRF (e.g., V4.2 or V4.3).
Ming

Hi,Ming Chen. Thank you !!
I run with mp_physics = 30 because 30(or 32) is the Cloud micro-physics scheme using bin scheme.I need to run bin scheme in the area of North Atlantic. I have not found others. Do you know if there is any other bin schemes? And for the error mentioned above do you have any other suggestions?
Thanks!!

And friend, I have one more question to consult you: do you know are there any wrf-output variables used to describe the size distribution of hydrate particles in the cloud, i.e. what are the names of those output variables?
Looking forward to your replay! Thank you again!

Hi, Yeaihua,
If you have to run with Bin microphysics, then option 30 and 32 are the only two options you can choose (For WRFV4.3).
For the size distribution of various hydrometeors particles, I don't think they are included in wrfout. You need to look at the specific scheme you use to find these variables and manage to output them. Most of these variables are local variables. One example is the P3 scheme. in which you can find the variables like lamc and lamr, which are size distributions for clouds and rain.
Ming

Hi ,Ming Chen
Thank you! :).What is P3 scheme? I have not heard about it ,and what are lamc and lamr describe? I am a green-hand in wrf.(a little confused)
But Thanks!

Hi, Yeaihua,,
WRF includes quite a few microphysical schemes, including the P3 1-ice category 1-moment cloud water scheme, P3 2-ice categories plus double-moment cloud water scheme, and P3 1-ice category 3-moment cloud water schemes. Basic details of these P3 schemes can be found in the paper:
Morrison, Hugh, and Jason A. Milbrandt, 2015: Parameterization of cloud microphysics based on the prediction of bulk ice particle properties. Part I: Scheme description and idealized tests. J. Atmos. Sci., 72, 287-311.
Ming