Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF run time calculation

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Jiwon Lee

Hi everyone,

I would like to know in detail how long it takes to calculate a dynamic and microphysics scheme and how long it takes to save the output. Do you have any of these options?

In /WRF/run/WRF_RUN_TIME, the start time and end time of the model execution are recorded. Also, elapsed seconds is stored in rsl.out.0000.
The sum of all elapsed seconds in rsl.out and the total running time written in WRF_RUN_TIME are different. Why is this happening?
I am using 3 nodes with 30 cpu each. That is, a total of 90 CPUs were used.

Thanks for reading my question!
Have a nice day everyone~~ :D

Thanks
Jiwon

Hi Jiwon,
1. There is no exact answer to this question. It can vary based on all the different options you choose in your namelist, in addition to the size of the domain, resolution, time_step, etc. Additionally, I don't think there is any feature in the model that will calculate the exact time it's taking to go through these processes. It may be possible to write a program to do so, but that may be a lot of work.

2. I'm not aware of a "WRF_RUN_TIME" file or subroutine (or anything else). Can you let me know which version of WRF you're using, and what exactly WRF_RUN_TIME is?

Thanks!