Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Corrupt WRF output?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

gabriel_bromley

Hello,

I ran a 4-km WRF simulation for multiple years and unfortunately did not catch some errors in the WRF output. In my WRF out files the simulation 'resets' around 10-12 days into a given month and then again around the 26th day of a given month. The issues are less severe it seems for continuous fields such as temperature, but precipitation seems to zero out and restart it's accumulation. When precipitation is post-processed these errors manifest as large negative values (see attached images). These occurrences are quite regular each month (indicating some issue in the model or input data) but appear to stop after a while.

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 12.17.51 PM.png

Figure 1: Precipitation for March 2011

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 12.29.26 PM.png

Figure 2: Precipitation from 2011-2013

What would you suggest to handle these errors? I'd like to conduct an analysis of convective precipitation. Should I just ignore these time steps or the entire day? It's hard to know with my expertise if the 'memory' of the atmospheric state progresses past these errors or is it just re-initializing from the ERA5 initial data? Is there a way to use this data while minimizing the effects of these corrupted time steps on results?

Data files that can be assessed are here:

/glade/p/univ/umsb0001/model_runs/control_umd/

Post-processed precipitation can be found here:

/glade/p/univ/umsb0001/model_runs/control_umd/derived

Thanks so much, please let me know if I can provide more information.

Gabe

Hi Gabe,
I apologize for the delay in response. I was traveling and am still trying to get caught up with my replies.

If you're still having this problem, are you able to determine if the problem is with the input data? If it's not, can you let me know which version of the model you're running and point me to your namelist.input file? Thanks!