Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

a strange case with high resolution

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

sd16121

Dear Colleague,

I have an issue about the wrf output with 250m resolution. See the attached namelists and plot.

The winter case seems unreasonable, because the 250m resolution has a huge deviation, could you please kindly provide some possible reasons that can lead to this situation?

Best wishes,
Stella

Attachments

• winter overall.jpg
    winter overall.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 356
  • namelist.input
    4.3 KB · Views: 30
  • namelist.wps
    1.6 KB · Views: 20
Hi Stella,
When I view this plot (even after downloading), it's very small and I can't read anything. Can you send me a larger copy of it and let me know specifically what type of deviation it is showing? Thanks.

Dear Colleague,

Please see the new attached file. Normally, the rainfall simulated with the higher resolution should be closer to the observation data from radar, but the simulation data with 250m is very far from the radar data.

Best regards,
Stella

Attachments

• winter overall.jpg
    winter overall.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 351
Stella,
Thank you for sending the larger image.
As a first glance, your domain size for d01 is too small. As I stated in this forum post, when the size of domains is too small, it can lead to unreasonable results. Try to make the domain larger (which may mean you'll need to increase the size of the child domains too), and see if you get more reasonable precipitation.