Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Segmentation Error

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

c_forecaster9

Hello everybody,

I have a namelist.wps with 3 domains as following:
parent_id = 1, 1, 2,
parent_grid_ratio = 1, 3, 3,
i_parent_start = 1, 91, 200,
j_parent_start = 1, 55, 110,
e_we = 301, 469, 547,
e_sn = 261, 358, 541,

map_proj = 'lambert',
ref_lat = 48.0,
ref_lon = -2.00,
truelat1 = 33.0,
truelat2 = 53.0,
stand_lon = -2.00,
while there is the message: "Successful completion of metgrid", There is a message of "Segmentation Error" in wrf.exe

NOTE: In ref_lon 15.0 and stand_lon 15.0 there is NO error. Everything is running properly.

Thanks in advance anyone who will spend his/her valuable time in examining this problem.

Hi,
Can you please attach your full namelist.input file used for running WRF, along with the full error log(s) (if you have several rsl.error.* files, please combine them into a single rsl.tar file to attach). Thanks!

Hi kwerner,
my name is Christos and thank you for your help.

Attached you can find the namelist.wps, the namelist.input and a Tar file with rsl.error.

Best Regards,
Christos

Attachments

• Error.tar
    165.5 KB · Views: 18
  • namelist.input
    4.5 KB · Views: 20
  • namelist.wps
    882 bytes · Views: 18
Christos,
Thanks for sending those. I can see several CFL errors in your rsl* files, which indicates that the model has become unstable. Take a look at this FAQ that discusses ways to tackle this problem.

Additionally, I would recommend trying to use more vertical levels - maybe 45-50. It's also possible that you're not using enough processors for the sizes of your domains. This FAQ discusses how to determine an appropriate number of processors.