Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) WRF just hangs when I try to run

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

yairsuari

I want to thank everyone that answers
My problem is that when I try to run WRF it just stops. the last line in the wrf log is:
ThompMP: computing qr_acr_qg.
It seems like the error is somehow connected to mpi (multi processor) so I tried simply running ./wrf.exe - it did not help.

What I am doing is trying to work using the most standard configuration possible:
Compile and run is done using GNU tools according to the instructions in https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/compilation_tutorial.php. The only possible difference is that I am getting my GFS data from UCAR ds084.1 and not from operational data.

The only problem I see when preparing the data is after running metgrid
Note: The following floating-point exceptions are signalling: IEEE_OVERFLOW_FLAG IEEE_UNDERFLOW_FLAG IEEE_DENORMAL

I attach all the files I think might be relevant:
WRF and WPS namelists
logs for data preparation and real

Thanks again
Yair

Attachments

• wrf.log
    2.2 KB · Views: 34
  • namelist.input
    4 KB · Views: 28
  • real.log
    36.5 KB · Views: 26
  • namelist.wps
    914 bytes · Views: 23
  • ungrib.log
    164.2 KB · Views: 25
  • metgrid.log
    531.4 KB · Views: 23
Yair,
The problem is very likely that you aren't using enough processors for your domain size. You're only using a single processor, and your domains are all larger than 200 x 200. Take a look at this FAQ that discusses choosing a reasonable number of processors.