Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

wrfout timing issues with adaptive time stepping in WRF 4.2.1

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

mastdk

I'm bringing up and old topic which never seemed to have been resolved.

In 2010 Michael had the same issue with WRF 3.2
https://mailman.ucar.edu/pipermail/wrf-users/2010/001770.html

Problem:
We run various WRF models and use adaptive time stepping to get outputs as a stream instead of waiting for all outputs to be completed. What we expect is the output times to be equidistant eg. 18:00:00, 18:15:00, 18:30:31, 18:45:00. Instead its starts to get off by a few seconds up to 90s based on length of run.

I have tried various combinations, based on forum research, but none have succeeded so far. I have attached our input files.

Code:
use_adaptive_time_step              = .true.,
step_to_output_time                 = .true.,

Code:
Output from: ncdump -v Times

Times =
  "2021-09-20_18:00:00",
  "2021-09-20_18:15:31",
  "2021-09-20_18:30:31",
  "2021-09-20_18:45:31" ;

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• namelist.input
    5.2 KB · Views: 28
  • namelist.wps
    1.5 KB · Views: 24
Thanks for sending that! I notice your namelist.input file is configured differently - probably for another script to read? Is it possible for you to run a test with a standard namelist.input file (perhaps modifying the default namelist for one specific run) to see if that makes any difference? The code specifically looks for values for "history_interval" and I want to make sure your unique namelist is not causing the problem. Thanks!

Hi @kwerner

Thanks for taking a look at this. I have attached the generated namelist.input that WRF is using. We use a template that automatically changes certain parameters.

Thanks for sending that! I notice your namelist.input file is configured differently - probably for another script to read? Is it possible for you to run a test with a standard namelist.input file (perhaps modifying the default namelist for one specific run) to see if that makes any difference? The code specifically looks for values for "history_interval" and I want to make sure your unique namelist is not causing the problem. Thanks!

View attachment namelist.input

Hi,
Is it possible for you to run a test with a non-automatically-generated namelist? I'd like to see if you still have the same problem when not using that type of namelist. Thanks.