Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

"OUT OF BOUNDS" messages in fort.98

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

lili_zhu

Hi,

The wrf.exe I was running recently was forced to stop halfway, and the rsl files show "forrtl: severe (174): SIGSEGV, segmentation fault occurred". Meanwhile a file named fort.98 was created in the directory, and it contains a number of messages, all of which are the following:

**** OUT OF BOUNDS *********

It seems that no point exceeded cfl=2 when the model stopped. I am wondering what caused this problem and how I can solve this problem.

Attached is my namelist.input file and rsl.error.* files.

Thanks for your help.

Lili

Attachments

• namelist.input
    5.4 KB · Views: 52
  • rsl.error.tar
    27.3 MB · Views: 44
Lili,
Your namelist.input looks fine.
Which version of WRF are you running? And the forcing data? How long did the model run before it crashed? Can you find any error message in rsl files?

Ming Chen said:
Lili,
Your namelist.input looks fine.
Which version of WRF are you running? And the forcing data? How long did the model run before it crashed? Can you find any error message in rsl files?

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I am running WRF 3.9.1.1, and the forcing data is NCEP North American Regional Reanalysis (NARR). The model ran for 13 days before it crashed. Except "forrtl: severe (174): SIGSEGV, segmentation fault occurred", I think there is no other error message in rsl files.

Lili

If you have saved wrfrst files, please restart from the most recent wrfrst file and save the output at every time step. Then look at these wrfout files to find when and where the first NaN appears. This will give you some hints what is wrong.
If the model can successfully run for 13 days before it crashed, it indicates the forcing data should be fine. I am suspicious that the physics in the model may go wrong.

Ming Chen said:
If you have saved wrfrst files, please restart from the most recent wrfrst file and save the output at every time step. Then look at these wrfout files to find when and where the first NaN appears. This will give you some hints what is wrong.
If the model can successfully run for 13 days before it crashed, it indicates the forcing data should be fine. I am suspicious that the physics in the model may go wrong.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try it later.