Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF crashes at KF cumulus call

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Greetings,

I have run a quasi-global WRF (3.5) simulation. I wish to use the parent domain output (forced by CFSR up to 50 hPa) to force an inner domain using ndown. I successfully generate the new wrfinput and wrfbdy file. When I submit wrf.exe however, I get the following error at initialization as the model tries to integrate for the first time:

d01 2008-10-01_00:00:00 in kf_eta_cps
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 2122
QG, QG(NK).LT.0
-------------------------------------------

My nested domain boundaries are sufficiently far away from the parent domain boundaries.

To be clear, p_top_requested is 5000 (50 hPa), but there is data in the met_em files up to 1 hPa. Based on what I've read, it seems as though my p_top_requested was set too high in the parent domain experiment.

I don't want to go back and rerun a three-year-long quasi-global simulation. Any tips on how I can circumvent this error?

Thanks in advance,
-Stefan

Update --

I ran the parent domain simulation with p_top_requested = 5000. I then ran ndown with the same, generating the wrfbdy and wrfinput files. For wrf.exe in the nest, I changed p_top_requested to 100, and the simulation ran fine.

Something seems fishy here....

-Stefan

FIXED!

The problem was the result of one of my classic bone-headed maneuvers in which I defined p_top_requested TWICE. Wrf.exe ran fine with a p_top_requested = 5000. Sorry!

-Stefan