Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

ERROR: The input file appears to be from a pre-v4 version of WRF initialization routines

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

iandragaud

Hello,
I am running WRF Version 4.0.3 and I got the following error when I tried to restart the simulation:

Error trying to read metadata
You can try 1) ensure that the input file was created with WRF v4 pre-processors, or
2) use force_use_old_data=T in the time_control record of the namelist.input file
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 324
---- ERROR: The input file appears to be from a pre-v4 version of WRF initialization routines

The input was created with WRF v4 pre-processors and after the error, I tried to use force_use_old_data=T in the time_control record of the namelist.input file, but I had no success. I am not sure if the error is a bug that was fixed and I need to use the WRF V 4.1 or there is a way to use the WRF V 4.0 without getting this error. I don't know how to proceed and I would like some help.

Regards,
Ian

Hi,
Can you please attach the full error log, along with your namelist.input file? Thanks!

Hi,
I am attaching the files here.

Thanks,
Ian

Attachments

• namelist.input
    4.1 KB · Views: 120
  • rsl.error.0000.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 79
  • rsl.out.0000.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 71
I verified that the size of the last two wrfrst_* files were smaller than the previous hours. I suppose that they were not created properly and when I tried to restart, the model didn't do it. I removed the last wrfrst_* files with smaller sizes, edited the start_hour in the namelist.input, and now the model restarted without errors :)

Thanks!