Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

LCZ Classes at WRF 4.2.2

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

geraldogomes

Hi, I'm trying to include the 17 classes of Local Climate Zone in WRF 4.2.2. I saw that there is a manual made by Dr. Alberto Martilli but it was prepared for version 3.4 of WRF (https://www.wudapt.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Urbanized-WRF-modeling-using-WUDAPT-web-version-March2016.pdf). How can I do this for WRF 4.2.2? Can i modify the modules present in WRF 3.4 (module_sf_urban.F, module_surface_driver.F, module_sf_noahdrv.F, module_sf_bep.F and module_sf_bep_bem.F) and just include at WRF 4.2.2? Any idea?

Thanks

LCZ will be included in WRRFV4.3, and this new version of WRF will be released soon ( April 2021, the exact date of release hasn't been decided yet).

Do you mind waiting for the release of WRFV4.3? if you are in urgent need of this code, please let me know and I can send you a copy (not well tested yet).

Hello Ming Chen,

I got it from Alberto Martilli and Andrea Zonato who sent me WRF_WUDAPT, however, I have some doubts. I have the "index" and "land_urban" files (which I renamed 00001-01067.00001-00871) for the city of São Paulo which is available at https://wudapt.cs.purdue.edu/wudaptTools/default/user/login?_next=/wudaptTools/default/tools, however when I run geogrid.exe it gives the following errors:

Parsed 29 entries in GEOGRID.TBL
WARNING: In GEOGRID.TBL entry 2, multiple interpolation methods are given for resolution default. nearest_neighbor will be used.
WARNING: In GEOGRID.TBL entry 2, multiple paths are given for resolution default. /home/geraldo/modelos/WRF/WPS_GEOG/wudapt_rmsp/ will be used.
ERROR: In GEOGRID.TBL, no entry for LANDUSEF has priority 1, but an entry has priority 2.
application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 21848) - process 0
[unset]: write_line error; fd=-1 buf=:cmd=abort exitcode=21848
:
system msg for write_line failure : Bad file descriptor

I tried everything to resolve this but it fails all the time. Do you have any idea on how to solve this?

My index:

type=categorical
category_min=31
category_max=40
projection=regular_ll
dx=0.000988
dy=0.000915
known_x=1.0
known_y=1.0
known_lat = -23.934999
known_lon = -47.076043
wordsize=1
tile_x = 1067
tile_y = 871
tile_z = 1
units="category"
description="10-category LCZ"
# the following lines may be useful in namelist files
# dx=100.411907 # in meters
# dy=101.726375 # in meters
# ref_lat -23.537373
# ref_lon -46.547425

Hi,
Honestly I don't have an answer to this question. We have all the modified codes related to the implementation of LCZ. However, we don't have any information how to create the data for its use. Below is the message from the developer about the WUDAPT issue.

https://github.com/wrf-model/WRF/pull/1419

Please take a look, although I am to sure whether it is helpful for you. If not, please contact the developer and hope they can provide some helpful information.