Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

A question about parent_id in namelist.input

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

chunchih

Hi WRF help,

I have a question about the 'parent_id' field in namelist.input file. I am running a two-way nested real-case simulation with three domains. In my namelist.input file, I have the parent_id of my coarsest domain set to 0 (as in many real-case examples). However, in some documentations, they also said that this value should be set to 1 for the coarsest domain. I was wondering does it matter whether this value is set to 0 or 1 for the coarsest domain since this domain is not nested within another domain (therefore, has no parent domain or the parent domain is itself)? In my namelist.wps, the parent_id for my coarsest domain is set to 1.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!