Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Estimating roughness length from canopy height

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

hschlaer

Hey there WRF experts,

I'm running simulations where I increase tree height in a specific land use category. However, I'm having trouble figuring out how to change Z0MIN and Z0MAX in VEGPARM.TBL to reflect the increased canopy height. I read a general rule of thumb that roughness length is about one-tenth of canopy height, but I can't find information on the units used in the VEGPARM table or how adjustments are made for seasonal growing patterns in Z0MIN and Z0MAX. Could someone direct me to where I might find this information?

Thanks!

Hannah

Hannah,
I am sorry that I have no answer to your question. I talked to our land model expert and he told me the values are mostly empirical. They derive these values based on in-situ observations and satellite remote sensing. We use them as is and never really explore how they are specified.