Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

How to calculate ACSNOW

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

pvahmani

Hi,

I am wondering how one can calculate ACSNOW in the postprocessing if it is not saved as one of the output variables. You can find the saved/available variables below.

Thanks
Pouya

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 4.27.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 4.27.54 PM.png
    33 KB · Views: 812
Pouya,

You may try to replace ACSNOW by SNOW. However, this only works when the initial value of snow is zero (based on my understanding, not 100% sure).

Please check your data and try. Let me know whether the result is reasonable.

Hi,

Thanks so much for your response! I checked and the initial values for SNOW are not zero and we are using one year of spin-up which makes it more complicated.
I found attached on the internet, which suggests we can use SR and rain terms to calculate ACSNOW. See this link: https://geo.nsstc.nasa.gov/SPoRT/modeling/wrf/servir/dec2017workshop/UEMS_UsersGuide/emsguideV15_appendixF.pdf

Is this true for WRF in general or maybe they have a special configuration? What do you think?

Thanks
Pouya

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 9.23.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 9.23.06 AM.png
    150.2 KB · Views: 808
Pouya,
This is true in general for WRF. ACSNOW is always initialized to be zero at the beginning of the model run, It is then calculated in various surface schemes . You can find related codes in phys/module_sf_clm.F, phys/module_sf_noahdrv.F. etc.