Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Rationale for setting up the WRF Tropical Physics Suite.

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

yusuke

Hello, WRF users

I am looking for the paper that was the basis for the Tropical Physics Suite setting available in WRF 3.9 and later.
You can find the background and references on the following page.

https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/physics/ncar_tropical_suite.php

However, the above page and the references listed do not provide a specific basis for the derivation of Tropical Physics Suite.
I may have overlooked something, but if you know of any, I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

Best regards.

Dear Ming Chen

Thank you for your answer.

I would like to know the following.
For example, why did you decide to use WSM6 for the microphysics? Other options (WDM6, Goddard ...) were also tested and found to be optimal, so they were set? Or was the decision based on the results of various existing studies? If it is the latter, I would like to know the literature on which it was based. The same applies to PBL scheme and cumulus scheme.

I was not able to get the above information from the linked pages or references.
If you know of any, I would be grateful for your help.

Best regards.

Hi,
We don't have a publication to demonstrate that WSM6 performs better than other microphysics. We choose WSM6 mainly based on our experiments in the tropics. However. we do understand that the scheme/model performance is case-dependent and many factors can affect the simulation. Therefore, please feel free to replace WSM6 by other microphysics for you specific case if you find other schemes perform better than WSM6.
Ming

Dear Ming Chen

Thank you for your reply.
I understood that there is not scientific basis (e.g. statistical analysis) for this setup. We will be running the WRF for convective precipitation in the tropics. We would like to discuss physical options in the future.

Sincerely,

Hi, Yusuke,
Thanks for the message. Yes please keep us updated about your results. We do need to understand more about the performance of physical schemes in various regions of the world.
Ming