Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

"forrtl: severe (154): array index out of bounds" with Noah-MP

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

ulyssep

Hi,

I am trying to run WRF v4.2 with Noah-MP (sf_surface_physics = 4) for 3 nested domains.

The model runs for a few timesteps before producing the following error:

forrtl: severe (154): array index out of bounds

I am able to run WRF fine with Noah LSM (sf_surface_physics = 2) under similar configurations.

Attached is my namelist file.

I appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks,
Ulysse

Attachments

• namelist.input
    4.6 KB · Views: 28
Ulysse,
Would you please turn off spectral nudging, then rerun this case? This will reduce the complexity and makes it easier to track the problem.
Also, if you run a single domain case, can this case be done successfully?
What is the version of WRF you are running?

Hi Ming,

Thanks for the reply.

I was able to narrow down the problem and run the model successfully by changing the number of processors.

This was WRF v 4.2.

Best,
Ulysse

Ulysse
Would you please clarify how you fix the problem? Is it a number of processor issue, or is it related to physics and namelist options? Thanks!

Hi,

I thought I had fixed the problem because the model was running without any issues when I ran WRF with a Distributed Debugging Too (ddt).

However, after recompiling WRF to remove the ddt, with everything else set the same, I still get the error:
forrtl: severe (154): array index out of bounds

I have tried removing spectral nudging and running the model only on the most outer domain. The same error shows up, always at the same time in the simulation:

Timing for main: time 2010-12-14_00:04:48 on domain 1: 0.26658 elapsed seconds

EDIT: I have also tried this with both WRF v 4.2 and v4.3 and get the same error.

I'm not sure why it worked with the ddt.

Thanks,
Ulysse

Would you please send me your namelist.wps to take a look? By the way, what data did you use to drive this case?

Hi Ming,

Attached is my namelist.wps.

I am using ERA5 Reanalysis (https://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds633.0/)

Thanks,

Ulysse

Attachments

• namelist.wps
    1.8 KB · Views: 23