Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Energy budget problem in NOAHMP GLACIER

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Madlene

Dear colleagues,

when running wrf.exe (ver. WRF V4.2.1 and V4.3) forced with 20CRv3 reanalysis data for the period 1882-08-16 - 1882-12-03 after successfully running the model for nearly two months of that period, I suddenly get a model crash with the following error message:

d01 1882-10-08_21:00:00 Input data is acceptable to use:
ERRENG = 1.46484375E-02
105 61 0.0000 358.565255545.6016**********-5760.6357
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 3004
Energy budget problem in NOAHMP GLACIER
-------------------------------------------

To me it looks like the surface energy budget has a problem. I have studied the source code of https://github.com/NCAR/ccpp-physics/bl ... lacier.f90 and it is unfortunately not clear to me where the error stems from (faulty input data / model numerics) and how to overcome it.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

I attached my namelist.input, the rsl.error.out, and domain setup.
Thank you and greetings,
Madlene

Attachments

• rsl.error.0011.txt
    41.3 KB · Views: 27
  • namelist.input
    5 KB · Views: 31
  • map_WRF_domains_Stamen_Terrain_cropped.png
    map_WRF_domains_Stamen_Terrain_cropped.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 376
Madlene,
I don't have an immediate answer to your question about the model crash. WRF has been well tested for short-term weather forecast. While its can be adapted for climate simulation, there may have problems we are not aware of.

I would suggest that you restart the model run from the latest wrfrst file, and manage to save wrfout every time step before it crashed. Then examine these wrfout files, finding the first time and first grid point that the physics goes wrong. From there, you can trace back and hopefully to figure out the reason of the crash.

Please keep us updated if you find anything wrong. Such information will be helpful for other users who may have the similar issue. Thanks in advance.

Hello Ming Chen!

Thank you very much for your reply and suggestions. Tracing back helped to find the source of the problem (most likely a bug in the glacier module of the NoahMP LSM) but not a solution.
A description of my findings can be found in the following thread (opened in April 2020 by another WRF user who got a similar issue):

https://github.com/wrf-model/WRF/issues/1185

Greetings,
Madlene