Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Surface energy budget over land and lake

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Jialiwang

Dear WRF community,

I am trying to calculate the surface energy budget as suggested here: https://forum.mmm.ucar.edu/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=5674 but I am having several questions:

1. I compared my output between GLW and LWDNB, they seem always the same (I looked 3 months of data in JJA). In my case I just use LWDNB, but even if I use GLW, the results would be the same
2. my RNET-LH-HFX-GRDFLX is not zero, in other words, RNET does not equal to LH+HFX+GRDFLX. They are sort of similar over land. however, they are dramatically different over the Great Lakes.
3. so I was thinking to make a point that energy is not balanced over lakes, but, when I check the variable NOAHRES, the majority of the grids over the domain is zero, including the Great Lakes.
4. for the TSK, I see it is equal to SST over lakes and equal to the input SST data. so I just use TSK for the entire domain

So I wonder why is this happening? and why I don't see similar values like in NOAHRES. I do see that GRDFLX is zero over lakes. should we use another var for that?

Attached are two figures, one is RNET, and the other is LH+HFX_GRDFLX. They are supposed to be similar but not. I also mask out the lake so you can see the land without being bothered by the differences in lakes.

Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• energy.zip
    1 MB · Views: 30