Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Counter intuitive behavior for MYJ vertical diffusion coefficients

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

struggling_phd

Dear all,

I have a question regarding the results i am obtaining when changing the vertical diffusion coefficients in the MYJ PBL scheme. By changing the AKM and AKH coefficients in the "SUBROUTINE DIFCOF", and by changing I mean multiplying the variables by 0.5 or 2, I am getting counter intutitve results for wind intensities. When I reduce the AKM and AKH coefficients by multiplying them by half, I expected wind intensities to increase since I am basically reducing the turbulence mixing by half. However, wind intensities got increased? Likewise, once I increased the AKM and AKH by a factor of 2, I expected a decrease in the wind intensity values, however they increased?

Please advise, any kind of help is appriciated. Thanks!