Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF4.3 BEP+BEM set up

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

jli628

Hi,

I am using WRF4.3 to examine the impact of urbanization on mesoscale convective systems. My current domain contains some regions of the US and Canada. I use "nlcd2011_9s+default" static data in the namelist.wps. According to my understanding, it is a combination of NLCD2011 for the US and MODIS for other regions, which is confirmed by the "geo_em.d01.nc" file. Now, there are 5 urban classes:
13 Urban and Built-up
23 Developed Open Space
24 Developed Low Intensity
25 Developed Medium Intensity
26 Developed High Intensity.

13 is for MODIS for non-US regions, and 23-26 are for NLCD2011 for the US regions. I am wondering whether BEP+BEM can handle such a case. Will it produce correct results? Thanks.

Hi,
When NLCD and MODIS are combined to provide landuse type over a specific region, NLCD has the top priority, i.e., it is used to produce landuse over areas covered by NLCD. In areas not covered by NLCD, MODIS will be used to produce landuse type. This is why we have five 5 urban classes. BEP+BEM is able to handle this situation.