Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

latent heating from cumulus parameterization

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

eversondalpiva

Hi,
In the Registry.EM_COMMON file there is a variable called RTHCUTEN (THETA TENDENCY DUE TO CUMULUS SCHEME, K s-1). My question is: can this variable be totally associated with latent heating only?
Thank you very much in advance.

Hi,
It may not be strictly associated with only latent heat because much of it is from subsidence outside the clouds.

Hi,
Right. Could I then calculate the total latent heating of the cumulus convection using the tendency of hydrometeors (vapor, rain, cloud, snow and ice) resulting from the cumulus parametrization? such as: RQVCUTEN, RQRCUTEN, RQCCUTEN, RQSCUTEN e RQICUTEN? Thank you very much in advance.

I apologize for the long delay in response. We got behind on forum posts during our WRF tutorial, and are just now getting caught up. Thank you for your patience.

No, unfortunately that wouldn't work because a lot of condensation ends up in the surface convective rainfall, not in the cumulus cloud tendencies. Using rainfall, you may be able to get a column total, but not the profile.

Yes I understood. So, starting from the total surface convective rainfall (RNC in code module_cu_kfeta.F), I could obtain the level-by-level condensation as follows: (The lines below were taken from the code module_cu_kfeta.F and are in reverse order of what appears in the code.)

RNC = RAINCV(I,J)*NIC ! RNC = Convective Rainfall (mm)

RAINCV(I,J) = DT*PRATEC(I,J)

PRATEC(I,J) = PPFLX(1-FBFRC)/DXSQ

PPFLX = TRPPT-TDER

TRPPT = TRPPT + PPTLIQ(NK) + PPTICE(NK) ! TRPPT = THE TOTAL RATE OF PRODUCTION OF PRECIP UP TO THE
! CURRENT MODEL LEVEL...
! PPTLIQ = THE RATE OF GENERATION (FALLOUT) OF
! LIQUID PRECIP AT A GIVEN MODEL LVL, PPTICE THE SAME FOR ICE,

The variables PPTLIQ (NK) and PPTICE (NK) would provide the amount of liquid and ice generated level by level and which actually reached the surface. The variables PPTLIQ (k) and PPTICE (k) would then provide latent warming level by level.
Together with what was left in the atmosphere (RQVCUTEN, RQRCUTEN, RQCCUTEN, RQSCUTEN e RQICUTEN) I would obtain the total convective latent heating from cumulus convection.
Am I right? Thank you very much for the answers and don't worry about the delay in responding. See you.
Everson

Hi,
I ran this by our physics expert who said this is a great start, but you will also need to consider how to get rain evaporation from the downdraft part.

Hello professor,
I want to output boundary layer latent heat flux and sensible heat flux. I cannot find them in wrfout file, and I know HFX is surface layer sensible flux and LH is surface layer latent heat flux. Could you please tell me what is boundary layer latent heat flux and sensible heat flux? How to output them? Thank you.