Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

changes in module_sf_sfclay.F does not affect LWP

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

xyli00

Dear all,

I have been trying to test how the surface moist flux affects the liquid water path
with ideal LES of WRF4.1.5.

I added one line between l.906-l.910 in "module_sf_sfclay.F" like this,
DO 370 I=its,ite
QFX(I)=FLQC(I)*(QSFC(I)-QX(I))
QFX(I)=504.35/XLV ! XYLi set it to const, 20-05-26
QFX(I)=AMAX1(QFX(I),0.)
LH(I)=XLV*QFX(I)
370 CONTINUE

So I tried "QFX(I)=504.35/XLV" and "QFX(I)=93./XLV" and surprisingly, I got the same result of liquid water path,
which cannot be true. It seems that this piece of the code or the entire module "module_sf_sfclay.F" was not called.

Any idea about this and how to test if this piece of code is called?

Best regards,

Xiang-Yu

PS: I know that one can always use "print" command to check this. But for WRF, this method may not be even feasible.

To update my problem,

isfflx = 2 in my setup.

I have now added a print command between l.906-l.910 in "module_sf_sfclay.F" like this,
DO 370 I=its,ite
QFX(I)=FLQC(I)*(QSFC(I)-QX(I))
QFX(I)=504.35/XLV ! XYLi set it to const, 20-05-26
QFX(I)=AMAX1(QFX(I),0.)
LH(I)=XLV*QFX(I)
370 CONTINUE

But I didn't see any output from my print command.

So I guess "module_sf_sfclay.F" may not be called at all.
Any idea about it?

Best regards,

Xiang-Yu

Thanks a lot for the swift reply!

Attached please kindly find the input name list.

Best,

Xiang-Yu

Attachments

• namelist.input
    5.3 KB · Views: 52
I have now changed "sf_sfclay_physics" to 91 and my print statement was printed out.
But when I checked the problem in the code, it was not obvious to me why "sf_sfclay_physics=1"
option does not enter into my print statement.

Thanks.

Xiang-Yu

Xiang-Yu,
Yes, option 1 uses the "module_sf_sfclayrev.F" file, while option 91 uses "module_sf_sfclay.F" I agree that it's not always clear which routines use which files in the phys/ directory (or any directory for that matter). This is something we are hoping to work on soon - better documentation to help users understand the code, particularly for modification purposes. I'm glad that you were able to figure it out.