Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Wind farm physics in WRF LES mode

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

figurski

Hi,

I am trying to use wind farm physics in WRF LES mode. I have four domains of 12.5km, 2.5km, 500m and 100m. I did a test with bl_pbl_physics = 1,1,1,0. I checked the POWER fields for all domains. If bl_pbl_physics = 1, the POWER field has realistic energy production values. If bl_pbl_physics = 0 (WRF_LES), the POWER field is all zero. I did the WRF_LES test for domain 3 (500m) and also got the same zeros in the POWER field.
Can I ask for help in solving this problem? Is wind_farm physics not working in WRF_LES mode?

Best regards
Mariusz

Hi,
I'm modifying my response, so if you saw the one before, please ignore it. In the PBL driver code, it looks like the first thing it checks is whether pbl_physics = 0. If it does, it leaves the routine, which explains why you are getting values of zero for those LES domains. So I guess this option does not work with WRF-LES. You may try to modify the scheme to make LES a possibility, and if you are able to do that, we would love for you to share the code with us so that we could put it into the released version for other users; however, we certainly don't expect you to do this. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Hi,
Thank you very much for your answer. Yes I thought wind_farm is not supported in WRF LES mod. However, the proposal to implement this solution into the WRF model is a very big challenge. However, I don't know if I can deal with this problem myself.
Thanks again for your clarifications.

Regards
Mariusz