Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

why the H_DIABATIC(from microphysics) contains negative values?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

esmwg2020

I want to estimate the heating profile, so I add up "RTHCUTEN" (from cumulus), "RTHRATLW" (from long-wave radiation), RTHRATSW" (from short-wave radiation), RTHBLTEN (from PBL parameterization), and H_DIABATIC (from microphysics) (RTHNDGDTEN, nudging is not applied in my em_real case), but I found the outputs of H_DIABATIC contain many negative values, I want to confirm that whether it is normal for a real case running? Thanks a lot.

This appears to be a WRF question, so I've moved it from the MPAS-Atmosphere section of the forum to the WRF Support section.

H_DIABATIC is latent heating from microphysics. It can be positive and negative, depending on the physics that is going on in microphysics scheme.