Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

RRTMG, segmentation fault, WRF ideal LES

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

xyli00

Dear all,

I am using WRF 3.8.1 to run an idealized LES with the ra_lw_physics=4, which means the RRTMG radiation
scheme is adopted. However, I got segmentation error after 5 hours of simulation time.

Any idea about this?

Attached please find my namelist.input and one of the error reports.

Best regards,

Xiang-Yu

Attachments

• namelist.input
    7.5 KB · Views: 54
  • rsl_error.txt
    65.7 MB · Views: 54
The ideal LES case is designed for free convective PBL. The surface forcing is specified in namelist and homogeneous over the model domain. In this case, it makes no sense to turn on radiation scheme.

Thank you for your reply, Ming.

I see from the namelist that periodic boundary conditions are only applied to x and y direction instead of z direction.
This means one still need forcing at the z direction, like surface fluxes, divergence, and cooling scheme at the top such
that clouds can be formed.

&bdy_control
periodic_x = .true., .false., .false.,
periodic_y = .true., .false., .false.,
nested = .false., .true., .true.,

The options in &bdy_control are specified for lateral boundary. The model top is handled in different way. Please see the description here:
https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/docs/technote/v4_technote.pdf