Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF performance optimization

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Chen Zhiqiang

I am a new WRF user, and I want to optimize the performance of WRF on the AARCH64 platform.
The WRF version I am currently using is 4.2 and I can run the test case now. I found that it didn't use high-performance math libraries, such as the BLAS library.

My question is:
(1) Why does WRF not use a high-performance linear algebra library? such BLAS/spBLAS/LAPACK...., these libraries are good for performance.
(2) Can I use the interface of these high-performance math libraries to replace part of the source code? Will this have a noticeable effect on performance? If the answer is yes, what part of the code should I change?

Using a high-performance math library was one of my original ideas for improving performance, I also hope you can give me some suggestions for performance optimization. Thanks.

Hi,
The WRF code was first written nearly 20 years ago and unfortunately we do not have the resources to do an overhaul on all of the code each time better performance libraries become available. We do not have experience with BLAS or the others you mention and do not know where you would need to modify the code specifically for those libraries, but you are welcome to give it a try to see if it does help with performance.

As for better optimization, this can often be controlled with using an appropriate number of processors, and can be dependent on the compiler you use.