Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Update 3D field during model run

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

rconrick

Hello,

I have a field of aerosol information from the ERA-CAMS model that I've added to wrfinput and wrfbdy for use by the Thompson-Eidhammer aerosol aware microphysics. My problem, of course, is that for runs longer than ~12 hours the surface aerosol sources get lost due to advection.

Is there a way to load my 3D aerosol grid every time the boundaries update? I'm thinking of this like the SST update feature, but with a 3D grid.

My alternative would be to run the model for short bursts (~3 hr) with restarts, and update the field within the restart files. This method doesn't thrill me, though.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Option 1 is obviously robust, which can update aerosols in the way similar to SST update. Note that this option involves lots of coding work.
Option 2 certainly works, although you need to go through the trouble to restart the run many times.