Irrigation schemes in v4.3

Topics specifically related to any of the WRF runtime options, such as SST update, DFI, nudging, restarts, global runs, adaptive time step, ndown.exe, tc.exe, moving nest, etc.
meteoadriatic

Irrigation schemes in v4.3

Post by meteoadriatic » Thu May 13, 2021 1:05 pm

Dear WRF community,

I'm looking into implementing irrigation schemes into simulation. From v4.2 there was already an irrigation scheme (sf_surf_irr_scheme namelist entry). However, in v4.3, NOAH-MP LSM, a new dynamic irrigation scheme is also implemented (opt_irr).

My question is: Are these two related to each other in any way? If one is activated, should other one be also activated, or they are mutually exclusive so only one of those should be used at a time? I can't find any information about intended way of using those two.

Thank you,
Ivan

Ming Chen

Re: Irrigation schemes in v4.3

Post by Ming Chen » Thu May 13, 2021 3:11 pm

Ivan,
The two irrigations have no relation with each other. They are turned off by default. Therefore, you can turn on either of them and don't need to worry for the other one. I don't think these two schemes should be turned on simultaneously, although the model may still be able to run if doing so (this is my guess. I didn't try.)
WRF Help Desk

meteoadriatic

Post by meteoadriatic » Thu May 13, 2021 5:16 pm

Dear Ming,

Thank you, but do those two serve the same purporse in the model? The first implemented scheme basically increases soil moisture in the irrigated affected areas, but does NOAH-MP implementation do the same thing or something completely different? If it does the same, then they will be redundant and should not be used together because they will cumulatively make soil too wet; however if NOAH-MP irrigation scheme does not do that but something else, then it might work along first one just fine. Any insight about that detail?

Thank you again,
Ivan

Ming Chen

Post by Ming Chen » Thu May 13, 2021 7:15 pm

Ivan,

Please see my answers below:

(1) do those two serve the same purporse in the model?

yes they are. Both will activate irrigation that will first affect soil moisture, then subsequently affect soil temperature, HFX, LH, etc.

(2) does NOAH-MP implementation do the same thing or something completely different? If it does the same, then they will be redundant and should not be used together because they will cumulatively make soil too wet.

You are right that Noah-MP irrigation performs similar. This is why we recommend not to activate both schemes simultaneously. They should not be used together
WRF Help Desk

Return to “Special Running Options”