Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

How can I know if vertical velocity is being damped?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

g_vijayan

Hi,
I am trying a wrf run with w_damping turned on. I would like to know if, when and where vertical velocity damping is being applied. How can I see that information? Please help me out.

Thanks.

Hi,
It looks like this variable is called in WRF/dyn_em/module_big_step_utilities.F. You can do a search for 'w_damping' in that file. You can put in a print statement inside the "IF" loop to see if it's printed out. If you add this, you'll need to recompile the code, but you do not need to clean or reconfigure the code. Just simply recompile wrf. Then after you run the simulation, your print statements should be in your out files (e.g., one of the rsl.out.* files).