Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

about SKEB in WRFV3.9

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

summer2021

Hi,
I have two questions about SKEB in WRF.
How to download and test a version of the module with the latest changes dyn em/module stoch.F ? Is this web address http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/berner/module stoch.F valid mentioned in SKEB_in_WRF.pdf ?
The other question is that in WRFUsersGuid.pdf , Tuning strategies are discussed in Romine et al. 2014(http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/citedby/10.1175/MWR-D-14-00100.1) . IF I test namelist like the following, the SKEB parameter in namelist , gridpoint variance (SPPT) and length scale (SPPT) and decorrelation time (SPPT) were set at the same time.The gridpoint variance (SPPT) and length scale (SPPT) and decorrelation time (SPPT) couldn't change the field RT_TENDF_STOCH , RU_TENDF_STOCH, and RV_TENDF_STOCH.My question is that how to change the stochastic perturbations of SKEB by setting the gridpoint variance (SPPT) and length scale (SPPT) in namelist similar as the artical (Romine et al. 2014).
Thank you! Looking forward to your reply!

Ming

I used WRFV3.9. Here is a part of my namelist.input.
&stoch
skebs = 1
stoch_force_opt = 0,0,
skebs_vertstruc = 0,
stoch_vertstruc_opt = 0,1,
tot_backscat_psi = 1.0E-05,1.0E-05,
tot_backscat_t = 1.0E-06,1.0E-06,
ztau_psi = 10800.0,
ztau_t = 10800.0,
rexponent_psi = -1.83,
rexponent_t = -1.83,
zsigma2_eps = 0.0833,
zsigma2_eta = 0.0833,
kminforc = 1,
lminforc = 1,
kminforct = 1,
lminforct = 1,
kmaxforc = 1000000,
lmaxforc = 1000000,
kmaxforct = 1000000,
lmaxforct = 1000000,
nens = 100
iseed_skebs = 811,
sppt = 0
iseed_sppt = 25
gridpt_stddev_sppt = 0.5
stddev_cutoff_sppt = 2.0
lengthscale_sppt = 90000.0
timescale_sppt = 21600.0
sppt_vertstruc = 0
/

Hi Ming,
The .pdf document's web links are outdated. Take a look at the SKEBS section in our newest version of the Users Guide for updated links. As for your other question, I'm going to try to contact a colleague for assistance and will get back to you.

Hi Ming,

I deferred your question to Kevin Lupo, and not surprisingly he came up with a better answer to your question than I would have. Here is what he suggested:

Thanks for sending this my way. While I'm more familiar with SPPT than SKEBS, there are a couple of things I can address in the user's second question. First, the RT_, RU_, and RV_TENDF_STOCH fields are for SKEBS, and shouldn't directly respond to the SPPT tuning parameters. I think the SKEBS tuning parameters would be the ztau_, rexponent_, tot_backscat_, and zsigma2_ parameters, though I have less familiarity with these (but the user does appear to have them configured as in the Romine et al. 2014 article).

Second, the user would want to output the unitless rstoch field to examine the effect of changing the gridpt_stddev_sppt, lengthscale_sppt, and timescale_sppt parameters. Importantly, they also need to set sppt = 1 to turn on SPPT. But, as in above, these have no control on SKEBS fields.

Hope this is helpful,
Kevin Lupo
klupo@albany.edu

kwerner said:
Hi Ming,
The .pdf document's web links are outdated. Take a look at the
Skebs Section in our newest version of the Users Guide for updated links. As for your other question, I'm going to try to contact a colleague for assistance and will get back to you.

Thanks very much. But the updated links in the newest version of the Users Guide still can't be opened .

romine said:
Hi Ming,

I deferred your question to Kevin Lupo, and not surprisingly he came up with a better answer to your question than I would have. Here is what he suggested:

Thanks for sending this my way. While I'm more familiar with SPPT than SKEBS, there are a couple of things I can address in the user's second question. First, the RT_, RU_, and RV_TENDF_STOCH fields are for SKEBS, and shouldn't directly respond to the SPPT tuning parameters. I think the SKEBS tuning parameters would be the ztau_, rexponent_, tot_backscat_, and zsigma2_ parameters, though I have less familiarity with these (but the user does appear to have them configured as in the Romine et al. 2014 article).

Second, the user would want to output the unitless rstoch field to examine the effect of changing the gridpt_stddev_sppt, lengthscale_sppt, and timescale_sppt parameters. Importantly, they also need to set sppt = 1 to turn on SPPT. But, as in above, these have no control on SKEBS fields.

Hope this is helpful,
Kevin Lupo
klupo@albany.edu
Thank you very much ,@romine and Kevin Lupo.