auxhist22 variables not included in auxhist22_outname

Topics specifically related to any of the WRF runtime options, such as SST update, DFI, nudging, restarts, global runs, adaptive time step, ndown.exe, tc.exe, moving nest, etc.
momodiallosn

auxhist22 variables not included in auxhist22_outname

Post by momodiallosn » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:04 pm

Hi,
I was poking around the WRF source code and found the very handy phys/module_diag_zld.F routine.
As described in the user guide I added the following options in the &time_control and &diags sections for usage:

&time_control
/
auxhist22_interval = 120, 120,120
frames_per_auxhist22 = 1, 1,1
io_form_auxhist22 = 2
auxhist22_outname
/

&diags
/
z_lev_diags=1
num_z_levels=2
z_levels=50,100
/

As expected the ZLEVS_d0* files were successfully created. Yet, only XLAT,XLONG,U2,T2,U10 and V10 were witten. No sign of variables mentionned in Registry/registry.diags ( z_zl,u_zl,v_zl,t_zl,rh_zl,ght_zl,s_zl,td_zl,q_zl ) despite being activated .

I have checked both Registry.EM.COMMON and registry.diags and all these variables should be written in the history stream 22.

Did I missed something, could you please give me a hand ?

ps I have checked this option using WRF V4.2 with no prior code modifications
Attachments
namelist.input
(6.94 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

kwerner

Re: auxhist22 variables not included in auxhist22_outname

Post by kwerner » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:37 pm

Hi,
You have the &diags section of the namelist set as:

Code: Select all

&diags
/
z_lev_diags=1
num_z_levels=2
z_levels=50,100
/
You need to remove that slash (/) after "&diags." By putting that there, you're telling the model to ignore everything in that section. The slash should only go at the end.

Code: Select all

&diags
z_lev_diags=1
num_z_levels=2
z_levels=50,100
/
NCAR/MMM

momodiallosn

Post by momodiallosn » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:24 am

Hi,
Thanks a lot! I spent a lot of time on that dumb mistake.

I also noticed that the computation of the temperature diagnostic between ../phys/module_trad_fields.F and ../phys/module_diag_zld.F (WRF V4.0.3 and V4.2.3) is different . In ../phys/module_diag_zld.F moisture effect on pressure in small steps is not accounted for in the temperature diagnostic. Since V3.7, use_theta_m is activated by default which leads different results (difference as illustrated in the attached photo).

Maybe use_theta_m option should be implemented in ./phys/module_diag_zld.F ? For those interested, I joined the modification that I did to module_diag_zld.F. I also modified start_em.F and module_diagnostics_driver.F by including the use_theta_m option.

CALL zld ( &
! Input data for computing
use_theta_m=config_flags%use_theta_m &
,U=grid%u_2 &

Kind regards wrfhelp and I hope you are doing well with recent events at Boulder.
Attachments
module_diag_zld.F
(8.87 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
comp_interpol.png

kwerner

Post by kwerner » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:49 pm

Hi,
I'm very glad you were able to overcome this, and thank you for the code modification suggestion. This can, perhaps, help future users with a similar issue. Thank you for sharing that, and for your kind words.
NCAR/MMM

Return to “Special Running Options”