Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

auxhist22 variables not included in auxhist22_outname

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

momodiallosn

Hi,
I was poking around the WRF source code and found the very handy phys/module_diag_zld.F routine.
As described in the user guide I added the following options in the &time_control and &diags sections for usage:

&time_control
/
auxhist22_interval = 120, 120,120
frames_per_auxhist22 = 1, 1,1
io_form_auxhist22 = 2
auxhist22_outname
/

&diags
/
z_lev_diags=1
num_z_levels=2
z_levels=50,100
/

As expected the ZLEVS_d0* files were successfully created. Yet, only XLAT,XLONG,U2,T2,U10 and V10 were witten. No sign of variables mentionned in Registry/registry.diags ( z_zl,u_zl,v_zl,t_zl,rh_zl,ght_zl,s_zl,td_zl,q_zl ) despite being activated .

I have checked both Registry.EM.COMMON and registry.diags and all these variables should be written in the history stream 22.

Did I missed something, could you please give me a hand ?

ps I have checked this option using WRF V4.2 with no prior code modifications

Attachments

• namelist.input
    6.9 KB · Views: 43
Hi,
You have the &diags section of the namelist set as:
Code:
&diags
/
z_lev_diags=1
num_z_levels=2
z_levels=50,100
/
You need to remove that slash (/) after "&diags." By putting that there, you're telling the model to ignore everything in that section. The slash should only go at the end.
Code:
&diags
z_lev_diags=1
num_z_levels=2
z_levels=50,100
/

Hi,
Thanks a lot! I spent a lot of time on that dumb mistake.

I also noticed that the computation of the temperature diagnostic between ../phys/module_trad_fields.F and ../phys/module_diag_zld.F (WRF V4.0.3 and V4.2.3) is different . In ../phys/module_diag_zld.F moisture effect on pressure in small steps is not accounted for in the temperature diagnostic. Since V3.7, use_theta_m is activated by default which leads different results (difference as illustrated in the attached photo).

Maybe use_theta_m option should be implemented in ./phys/module_diag_zld.F ? For those interested, I joined the modification that I did to module_diag_zld.F. I also modified start_em.F and module_diagnostics_driver.F by including the use_theta_m option.

CALL zld ( &
! Input data for computing
use_theta_m=config_flags%use_theta_m &
,U=grid%u_2 &

Kind regards wrfhelp and I hope you are doing well with recent events at Boulder.

Attachments

• comp_interpol.png
    comp_interpol.png
    503.3 KB · Views: 943
  • module_diag_zld.F
    8.9 KB · Views: 41
Hi,
I'm very glad you were able to overcome this, and thank you for the code modification suggestion. This can, perhaps, help future users with a similar issue. Thank you for sharing that, and for your kind words.