Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

tc.exe does not work properly for southern hemisphere

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

meteoro00

I'm trying to use the new version of WRF to re-run a case in South Atlantic that I have already run using an older version of WRF (3.x). I've noticed that, although the model runs without any kind of trouble, no bogussing is done. Looking to the code (more specifically the SUBROUTINE tc_bogus), it seems like the vmax information from namelist.input is lost at some point.
l_tcbogus = .TRUE.
! Bogus vortex specifications, vmax (m/s); rmax (m);
vmx = vmax(nstrm) * vmax_ratio

IF ( latc_loc(nstrm) .LT. 0. ) THEN
vmx = -vmx
END IF

IF ( vmax(nstrm) .LE. 0. ) THEN
vmx = SQRT( 2.*(1-beta)*ABS(phip0) )
END IF

Also, at
! Start computing.

PRINT '(/,A,I3,A,A,A)' ,'---> TC: Processing storm number= ',nstrm
PRINT '(A,F6.2,A,F7.2,A)' ,' Storm center lat= ',latc_loc(nstrm),' lon= ',lonc_loc(nstrm),'.'
PRINT '(A,2F6.2,A)' ,' Storm center grid position (x,y)= ',ew_gcntr,ns_gcntr,'.'
PRINT '(A,F5.2,F9.2,A)' ,' Storm max wind (m/s) and max radius (m)= ',vmx,rmax(nstrm),'.'
PRINT '(A,F5.2,A)' ,' Estimated central press dev (mb)= ',devpc,'.'

The rsl.out.0000 prints **** as the value of vmax.

I've tried, just to see what it happens, set vmax_meters_per_second with a negative value in the namelist.input, and doing so, TC.exe creates a bogus, but unfortunately it has anticyclonic rotation at Southern Hemisphere.
Could someone help me to fix it?