Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Remaining Vortex when Using TC Bogus

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

kprince

Hello,

I have successfully performed TC bogusing in which I have removed the initial TC and then ran the WRF model successfully.

My issue however is that after removing the initially strong TC a remnant vortex seemingly still remains as you can see from the image below...

09_18.png

The vortex that I removed over Cuba has been weakened significantly, however it still remains.

The $tc part of my namelist looks like this..

# &tc
# insert_bogus_storm = .false.
# remove_storm = .true.
# latc_loc = 23.1
# lonc_loc = -80.2
# vmax_meters_per_second = 48.9
# rmax = 120000.0
# vmax_ratio = 0.85
# /

and I have tried varying the rmax, however there are no changes that occur to the remaining vortex.

My question is how do I completely remove the TC and not leave a weak vortex in its place? Is this possible utilizing the TC bogusing and if so how do I go about ensuring the original TC is fully removed.

Thank you for any help on this.

Have you tried to reduce the value of vmax_meters_per_second? Please let me know whether it works.

In this example I will only be removing a vortex and not replacing it with a bogus one, so the vmax should not matter in this case. I have tried setting the vmax to zero however the remnant weak vortex remains.

A working hypothesis on what is going on is that even at quarter degree resolution there are small-scale features which are not fully removed in the bogusing, thus allowing some remnant vorticity to remain and be enough to generate a weak wind field. I have done this same bogusing on 1 degree data and the bogusing process has much more efficiently removed the TC.