Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF-LES large-scale forcing

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

musexcr

Hi,

I want to set large-scale forcing in the WRF-LES or 2D idealized simulation, including the large-scale subsidence rate and geostrophic wind. I found that there are some code for these forcings in dyn_em/module_force_scm, but they seems to be used for 1-D simulation. Can I use them for 2-D or 3-D simulations?

Thank you in advance.

Changrui

Changrui,
Currently the scm forcing code is only written to work with the 1-d SCM idealized case. If you wanted to do something like that for a 2/3-d case, you would need to write the code to do so. Unfortunately we do not have any code templates to do such a thing, so you'd have to do it on your own. There is a user who asked a similar question previously and I'm not sure if they ever got it working. You may be able to comment on their post, or to contact them directly (if their settings allow that) to ask if they were successful.