Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Will I get the same wrf.exe when compiling different idealized or real cases?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

musexcr

Hi,

I am wondering if I would get the same wrf.exe when compiling different idealized or real cases (starting with em, e.g. em_real, em_scm_xy and em_les). I am just curious about whether the difference betwteen these cases are just in their namelist.input and input files? If so, I might be more clear about their differences because I can compare them in the namelist, and could save some time compiling wrf.exe when turing to different cases:D

Thanks very much.

Changrui

Changrui,
The wrf.exe executables are the same for all cases; however, the difference is in the initialization executables. For e.g., real.exe processes differently than ideal.exe, and ideal.exe is different for each idealized case, so it's still necessary to compile for each different type of case. I would recommend just compiling each one in a different directory - it's not necessary to remove each build.