Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Maintain steady upwind boundary condition

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

foret37

We are using the ideal case, em_hill2d. Our objective is to maintain a steady upwind atmosphere, as defined by the initial condition file, and to allow that atmosphere to advect over the downwind topography. We have completed about 15 runs now with wrf 4.1, but it seems that the upwind condition at xStart changes with time. I have searched through the documentation and also all relevant information on the web, and there is no detailed discussion about the role of the initial condition and the specifics for the lateral boundary conditions for the ideal calculation. My guess is that it should be possible to set up this simple experiment, but I have yet see how to make it work.
Best,
Mark

Hi Mark,
I'm not all that versed on the idealized cases and how to tinker with them, but I'm just curious what you've tried. It looks like the boundary conditions turned on by default for hill2d are "open" at both the x_start and x_end sides, and then periodic in the y-direction. If you set open_xs to .false. does that make a difference?