Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

two input soundings for one case

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

epotter1

Hi,

I want to run an idealized case with two different input soundings (one on the windward side and one on the lee side of a hill in e.g. the hill_2d_x case). They will be the same above the height of the hill, so there will be no discontinuities. I think this will involve altering the model code (maybe there is a loop somewhere which applies the input sounding to the whole domain?). I've had a look, but just wondered if anyone has done this before and might be able to help (or point out any pitfalls I haven't considered).

Thanks!

Please take a look at the code "module_initialize_ideal.F", which initializes ideal cases.
Specifically, you need to start from modifying subroutines "get_sounding" and "read_sounding", these two subroutines read sounding data. Then you will need to modify codes in module_initialize_ideal.F related to the case you are interested.
I suppose this work will involve lots of coding and programming. Good luck!